Monday, August 1, 2011

Sweetest of the sweet!

Sweet corn is close to my heart.  There were summers on the farm that sweet corn was growing out our ears, or so the saying goes.  I did have a traumatic corn summer once.  Our crop had been so successful, and the farmer’s almanac had predicted that there would be a big storm coming through so we had to get this multitude of corn in (picked, shucked, and canned) before it was ruined.  We had blisters and cuts all over our hands, and by the middle of it I was sick and tired of sweet corn. 
In our home, my bedroom was closest to the living room and one night during corn-week-from-hell, after going to bed and promptly passing out, my parents heard me talking in my sleep.  They came to investigate and I was mumbling “corn, corn”. I think I had had enough, don’t you?!
Well now days, it irks me when I go to the supermarket and I want to buy sweet corn and all that is available is “CORN”. Well, is it Sundance, Jubilee, Country Gentleman, Silver Queen (my first fav!), Butter & Sugar (my other fav!) or some other monstrosity? Then I have to open up an ear looking for the sweetest of the sweet and try to guess its nature like a litter of newborn kittens. I have the same reaction when I go shopping for peaches? Is it a clingstone, or a freestone, or a semi-freestone (which just get me annoyed because for a second there you think you have a freestone until it’s not), and even then what variety is it?
Well no matter what kind of sweet corn you find at the supermarket, even if it’s not the sweetest variety available, you can coax the sweetness out by roasting it.  This is even possible with frozen sweet corn. The following is my recipe for a Shrimp, Roasted Corn and Avocado salad that I have been working on. It was a hit at the going away party this weekend. I hope you love it too. It’s perfect for summer.

Summer Shrimp, Roasted Corn and Avocado Salad
·         6 ears of corn or 1 bag of frozen corn
·         3 slices of bacon diced small and fried crisp – set aside
·         1 pound of shrimp
·         2 small ripe (but not mushy) avocados, diced
·         3 limes
·         1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
·         1 small bunch of cilantro, washed and picked
·         1 small red onion, diced very small
·         2-3 jalapenos, diced very small
·         Salt and pepper to taste
If you are using whole ears on the grill or 350OF oven
Soak the corn in the sink for a few minutes to get the husks wet and then just put the whole thing on the grill/oven, do not take the husks or silk that will come later. Rotate ¼ turn every 10 minutes making the total roasting time 40 minutes. Remove to a plate and let the corn cool to the touch.
If you are using cut frozen corn preheat the oven to 400OF
Oil a cookie sheet and spread the corn out on the cookie sheet. Roast the kernels in the oven, stirring them ever 10 minutes for 40 minutes until they are getting browned.
While the corn is cooling prep the shrimp. Place the shrimp in a bowl. Squeeze one lime over the shrimp and add ¼ of the jalapenos, and a little salt. Set aside to marinade.
Husk and silk the corn, then cut the corn from the cob.
Skewer and grill or sauté the shrimp. Remove when they are just under-done, pink but still relaxed - not curled up really tight. They will continue cooking once they have been removed from the heat.
Toss the corn and shrimp together with the onion, cilantro, remaining jalapenos, avocados and tomatoes.  Squeeze the two remaining limes over the salad one at a time, mixing and tasting until you have the right zing then taste for salt and pepper and add as needed. Top with the crisp bacon and serve. This can be served hot, room temperature or cold.

No comments: