Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Barbeque is NOT a verb

I’m southern girl.  Shocking, I know. Southern folk aren’t often given the culinary credit they are due.  But thankfully, that does not apply to Barbeque.  The whole world knows that Barbeque is the crown jewel of the American South.

As so very eloquently sung by Rhett & Link & the Homestead Pickers…"Barbeque is not a verb. Barbeque is not a grill. Barbeque is meat, prepared in very special way, which varies on where you go."
This has got to be one of my most favorite videos of all time.  I can’t tell you how many times I have had to share it with others in order to correct their sad misconceptions of barbeque. Sorry sir, that hibatchi is not a barbeque.

The following is my recipe for our winter pulled pork barbeque that hails from a North Carolina pallet of flavors. I specified winter because we are forced indoors here in Seattle in the fall and winter so we don’t have access to our grill.  Our Summer barbeque is plentiful and nothing at all like this.  I'm sure you'll see some in due time. 

This recipe is prepared hands free in the slow cooker, with nearly no work at all.  I really hope you enjoy it.  We do!


North Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Coleslaw
Pulled Pork (Printable Recipe)
·                  5 pound pork shoulder roast
·                  2 cups of apple cider vinegar
·                  ½ cup brown sugar
·                  Garlic
·                  Salt
·                  Red pepper flakes ½ teaspoon to 2 tablespoons
·                  ½ cup barbeque sauce (optional - Stubbs or Sweet Baby Ray's)
·                  Soft dinner rolls

Pour the vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, red pepper flakes and two cups of boiling water into your slow cooker.  Mix until the sugar is dissolved. Then put the whole pork roast into the cooker and cover.  Cook on high for 10-15 hours. Pour off the cooking liquid into a mixing bowl. Let the meat cool and shred with a fork. Pour off the fat from the cooking liquid and mix the good drippings into the barbeque sauce. There should be about a cup of cooking liquid left so that at the end you have 1½ cup of sauce. Pour over the shredded meat. 
·         ½ head of green cabbage cut thinly or chopped - about 4 cups
·         ½ cup of shredded carrots (optional)
·         Sugar 1-2 tablespoons
·         Salt to taste
·         Celery seeds 1-2 teaspoons
·         Mayonnaise, sour cream or unflavored yogurt
·         1-2 teaspoons lemon juice

Mix the mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon of celery seeds.  Taste and add salt more sugar, lemon juice, or celery seeds.  Then pour the mixture over the cabbage and carrots. Mix and chill.

At serving time pile some pork on a roll, top with coleslaw and extra barbeque sauce if you like then enjoy.

8 comments:

Jason R said...

BBQ is both a noun and verb, this is common knowledge. Who is this "cookworm"? He sounds like a scam artist

The Cookworm said...

It most certainly is not a verb...just watch the video and learn. And it seems from your, oh so adventurous, culinary posts that you are in more need than a cookworm can provide, scam artist or not. :)

Jason R said...

Read it and weep snob lol

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=barbecue

Aunt Teresa said...

Thank goodness...I was getting sick of chicken! lol
tonight I am making sesame-ginger pork medallions with a hint of mandarin orange sauce...

The Cookworm said...

Jason, just because folks have perverted the word to mean something that it is not, and now it is commonly used, does not mean that it is the proper thing to do. Did you even watch the video? Come on man you're killing me! You're a good 'ol southern boy. You should be defending me!

The Cookworm said...

Aunt T, I KNOW!! I was looking through and I realized everything was chicken! We use chicken as often as we use pork, beef or tofu in our house, but those were the only recipes I was posting primarely because they are easy and more people like chicken. But even I couldn't handle it any more! You gotta tell me these things so I don't run amuck.

Jason R said...

Crazy thing is I've found that vid before while youtubing. Don't listen to those yankee "North" Carolinians. Here, from Mr. Webster himself

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/barbecue

The Cookworm said...

You're killing me!