Saturday, November 13, 2010

Guess who's sleeping on the sofa?

I made pot roast last week and I needed to find a way to use the leftovers. In the same week my husband had asked me what meat pies were. We know what pot pies are, but since the question arose out of watching Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street and in specific, Lovett’s rather uncompelling interpretation of the British favorite, I thought I should investigate further.

                                                                                     
I really didn’t know what a real British meat pie was, and I’m still not sure I completely know, but it lead me in a fun direction, at least until my husband called it a Hot Pocket. He very nearly didn’t get to eat dinner. No matter what your loved ones decide to call it, it’s sumptuous.














A Very Un-British Meat Pie (Printable Recipe)

1 recipe Country Biscuits (Printable Recipe)
1 cup leftover pot roast chopped
1 cup diced potatoes in ¼ inch cubes
½ onion
½ cup peas
½ cup chopped pickled peppers (like pepperoncini)
1 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Sauté the potatoes in a little oil until they begin to soften then add the onions, peas, and peppers, then continue cooking for about 3 minutes until the onions become translucent. Add the meat and beef broth to the potato mixture. Bring it to a slight boil. In the meantime mix the butter and cornstarch really well. When the potato mixture starts boiling, add the butter, stir until it thickens and then remove it from the heat.

Make the biscuits as directed and roll the dough out to until 1/8th inch thick. Cut into 8 large squares. Then put a scoop of the mixture into the center of each square. Now comes the creative part, and I can admit, I still haven’t perfected the pretty package yet.  Fold over until and move the little package to a baking sheet and bake as directed.

No comments: