Monday, November 15, 2010

A Menu for a Successful Thanksgiving

How far in advance do you start planning your Thanksgiving menu? For me it depends how many guests I’ll have at the table.  One year in Rochester we had nearly 20 friends and family and surprisingly there was very little planning and much success. My kitchen was quite small and not all that well equipped. Everyone was charged with bringing their favorite holiday dish.  That took the stress off of me as the host and I didn’t have to spend a lot either.  Some cooked along side me, some brought their dishes nearly finished and put the final touches on at my place.  We rearranged much furniture and all ate at a communal table.

Then there was the first year that we moved to Seattle and my husband’s family – 2 parents, 4 siblings and 1 niece and 1 boyfriend plus my family of 5 – spent the holiday at our place.  It was a full house (understatement of the decade) and I cooked the whole kit and caboodle.  I prepped for nearly a week, with one shelf taken out of my refrigerator to make space for the bucket with the brining turkey. I think there was a bit of apprehension when a few of them found out that I did not intend to make the traditional green bean casserole, but instead had my own spin.  It too was a very successful dinner, but by the time it was done, I wondered why I had put so much effort into something that was over in an hour. I really enjoy the responsibility (and praise, I’ll admit) that comes with cooking the whole meal, but I think I most enjoy the satisfaction from having the input of everyone whose favorite dishes are being presented.

See, the conundrum is that when we have just the family, we still feel obligated to fix all of the standard dishes which results in me slaving away in the kitchen for days and then having leftovers enough for an army. And really, who can afford to spend $150.00 or more on a single meal? Last year, there were no guests in our home for Thanksgiving, but we started a new tradition anyway that we intend to carry forward. Each family member chooses their must-have side dish and then they have to fix it (with my help of course for the children).  In structuring it this way, each family member has the satisfaction of having created something they love that they can share that we can be thankful for! 

This year we will be serving Prime Rib, Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole, Creamy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms, Not-Your-Mother’s Green Bean Casserole, and Creamed Pearl Onions. And what is Thanksgiving without pie? So there will be Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Pie with a Spicy Twist and an Apple Pie.  I will have all the recipes posted before Thanksgiving.  

I want to take this opportunity to tell you that I am so thankful for each of you who have supported my blogging efforts. Your comments and feed back are invaluable. I hope each of you have a very blessed, and full Thanksgiving with your family and friends.

No comments: