Sunday, October 24, 2010

A prepared home cook is a successful home cook

I have set aside Sunday afternoon as my shopping day. I will often make brunch for the family in order to get them all to the table, I will then print out my Shopping list (which I have attached for you) and then we will decide as a family what is for dinner each day for the next week.  It makes shopping very easy.  We do quick runs to the freezer to see what meals are already prepped, I check off on the list what is needed to complete the meals we have chosen, check off the staple items that we are low on or out of, and then I go to three places.  Costco is first, Central Market is second and the neighborhood grocery store is third. This method cuts out entirely the habit of purchasing items you don’t need. 
I know, many people will tell you that shopping at Costco, BJ’s or Sam’s Clubs is a really bad idea.  But as I said in my first post, all things in moderation.  The argument against big box stores and membership stores is that you spend a lot more money than you would normally.  Well that is only partially true, if you are assuming that everything a person is purchasing is for immediate consumption.  I buy meat and pantry staples like salt, garlic, pickled items like olives and marinated artichoke hearts. I will buy olive oil, brown sugar, bread and frozen veggies, cheese and dairy. With three kids in our home, we go through three gallons of milk, and with my husbands coffee consumption we go through a lot of half and half.  All of the items I have listed above are a fraction of the cost of the same items for sale in the supermarkets.
The question I have to ask myself when shopping at Costco, BJ’s or Sam’s Clubs, is “Is this something I really need?”, and if the answer is yes, the next question is “Is it really cost effective?”, and if the answer is yes again, it goes into the shopping cart.  If the answer is “No” to either, it stays on the shelf. That is why I don’t buy cereal or chips and a whole slew of other things.  The first reason usually is that the items that fall into this category are not cost effective. Big packaging doesn’t always mean good deal.

The next store I hit is Central Market.  The store is minimalist but also offers a wonderful assortment of natural foods, bulk foods, Asian food staples, organic produce, and the people are good, helpful and honest.  Last month I went in looking to this season’s heirloom tomatoes and the first question out of the produce guy’s mouth was “Are you asking because of the ones we had last year?”, my answer was yes (they were divine!) and his answer was “You don’t want the ones we got in this year. They don’t even taste like tomatoes!”
The last place I hit is the neighborhood Safeway.  I choose Safeway because I know the layout of the store and I think their staple items run a little less. QFC I think is a little more expensive.  Fred Meyer makes me break out in hives and I try to avoid it at all costs. At the last store I buy things like toilet cleaner, and cereal, condiments and yogurt. Shopping is done! Dinner is on. My family is happy. And I have bought enough items to make dinners this week and put away meals for future weeks. And best yet, the only thing I have to get at the grocery store during the coming week is a bottle of wine after a bad day at the office.
**You will note that my shopping list has the menu on the right with a weather forcast.  That's because in the summer, we grill a lot and living in Seattle, I want know which days will be rainy so that I don't plan to grill when the weather has already decided I can't. The left side is the list that you can tear off and take to the store with you.

No comments: